Greeters Lobby Terminal E & F at MIA
This portion of the Miami International Airport was originally built in 1947 as a section of the original building. Untouched since it required a complete renovation in addition to various systems modifications. Foremost were relocating the entire airport phone and data connections from this floor to another site and replacing the concrete barriers that divided international arriving passengers from their crowds of greeters. Several scope additions were also added throughout the project, including baggage conveyor work and mechanical renovations. The original lobby’s design was standard, industrial, and totally devoid of reference to its subtropical location. Zyscovich introduced a palette of rich and colorful materials, including terrazzo flooring, mosaic tile murals, and colored glass. The original floor plan’s rectilinear regimen was turned into a sea of curvilinear design motifs and elements.